Mayan Hot Chocolate – a Spicy Ode to the Gods …
Pull up your socks and trim your nose hairs because you gotta be a grown-up to try Mayan Hot Chocolate. This fab mix of chocolate, cinnamon, and cayenne has blown people’s socks off for centuries – but only recently has this sexy combo come north from its Mexican roots. Perhaps back then the heat went well with the ceramic cups that Mayans made using volcanic rock. Nowadays we know that cayenne pepper promotes long-term weight loss by speeding up your metabolism. Either way, this hot chocolate is one of our favourite treats on a chilly day.
Mayan Hot Chocolate
To make Mayan Hot Chocolate, you will need:
- 2 cups milk (whole or almond)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 ½ oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Long cinnamon sticks for garnish
To prepare Mayan Hot Chocolate:
- Bring milk and sugar to a simmer in a medium pot.
- Stir in chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Continue to stir until chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and steep for 3 minutes.
- Reheat over low heat until simmering.
- Strain into measuring cup and pour between two vessels to increase the foam.
We have told you drinks recipes before. Try the best summer lemonade as well.
Serve the spicy hot chocolate in your favourite pottery mugs and stir with cinnamon sticks.