Spring cleaning Tips from the Home Experts
Longer daylight hours are finally upon us and the sunshine is (hopefully) here to stay. But, those gorgeous warm rays are going to highlight all the dust and dirt in our homes! Time for some spring cleaning tips from the home expert team at Good Space Plans Online interior design!
We’re going to share some of our favourite decluttering and spring cleaning tips, and how you can incorporate Spring 2020 home decor trends into your home. If you got tired, make a glass of Mayan Hot Chocolate to energize yourself and continue again.
As you declutter to make room for new furniture, it can be nervewracking making sure it all fits. Subscribe to our newsletter and get our easy to follow free delivery guide to make sure you never sweat a delivery again.
Cleaning tips for Spring
Spring cleaning can seem like a gargantuan task so many of us avoid it! Like any big task, breaking it down into manageable chunks can make a huge difference and helps increase the likelihood that we’ll actually do it.
Here are some of our favourite tips to make spring cleaning easier this year:
- Declutter first: Decluttering your spaces can make a quick, noticeable difference. Seeing how much cleaner your home can be when you get rid of things you don’t need, can be a great motivator to keep tidying and cleaning! That’s why we always suggest decluttering as our first spring cleaning tip.
- Use a checklist: Do you love the satisfaction of crossing stuff off your to-do list? Then make a list of everything you want to clean and check it off as you go along. Here is a handy spring cleaning checklist you can start with.
- Break it up: If your list looks too daunting, break it into chunks. You could do a few tasks every day, do it one room at a time, or group similar cleaning tasks together.
- Work top to bottom: Try to clean higher areas first. This way if dust and debris fall down, you won’t have to re-clean areas you’ve already done!
- Consider green: When possible, consider eco-friendly cleaners for your home. A steam cleaner is a great, chemical-free way to clean sofas and floors.
- Hire help: Who says you have to clean your own house! Hire a reputable cleaning company to clean the things you don’t want to!
When you finish any big cleaning job, reward yourself! Maybe you can go out for dinner (as a bonus this means no dirty dishes tonight). Break open a bottle of special wine. Book yourself in for a special spa treatment. But of course, the BEST reward is just walking around in a clean, clutter-free home!
And, now that your home has been tidied and cleaned, it’s time to bring the Spring inside your home. Next, we’ll look at what spring 2020 design trends we’re expecting.
Spring home decor trends for 2020
Spring signifies rebirth and fresh starts and this year’s home decor trends are no exception. This session we’re expecting design trends that create new space for new energy and rebirth.
Check out this post full of spring/ summer moving tips if you have decided to move in near future.
Here are some spring home decor trends from House Beautiful:
- Pops of pink: Picking a bright accent colour is a great way to easily celebrate the season. This spring, we’re expecting pink to be a popular colour. It’s fresh, bright, and can be easily worked into your room as an accent pillow, throw, rug, or fun decor item.
- Pendant lights: Pendant lights have long been a popular home decor trend, but this season we’re going to see them in larger clusters. Perhaps you could add them around a traditional chandelier over your dining table. We’re also going to see more pendant lighting made from natural materials.
- Floral wallpaper and wall decals: We’re not talking tacky turn-of-the-century floral wallpaper, instead, look forward to larger floral patterns and designs. They are sure to become a great conversation piece at your next housewarming or party.
- Neutral walls: If floral wallpaper is too loud for your style, then choose a neutral wall colour. It will stand the test of time and work with virtually any furniture and seasonal decor you bring into the room.
- Bird decor: Following in the natural and floral themes of Spring 2020, we’re expecting to see whimsical touches of bird-themed decor around the home.
- Rattan pieces: Furniture made from rattan palms add great natural-looking textures to your space. Look for Rattan furniture in either vintage or modern-looking designs based on your design style.
- Mixed metals: Don’t be afraid to mix different metal fixtures and hardware in your home. We’ve seen some great kitchens with miss-matched knobs and handles. To avoid too much chaos, pick either a finish, colour, or shape to be consistent, and then mix and match other qualities.
Sometimes after doing your spring cleaning, you may notice that it’s also time to buy new furniture for your home!
We always love to support local and Canadian designers and manufacturers, so we recommend:
When you do choose to buy new furniture, be sure it can actually fit in your space. We can’t tell you how many times we’ve had people come to us saying they bought a new sofa or dresser and couldn’t get it inside their home!
To avoid this, download our free guide to ensuring a smooth furniture delivery this spring.
And if you need help to redesign and reimagine your new home spaces, contact us to book a Good Space Plan.